Part 2 of the Adam Fiala 5.14a Journey!
In this episode, we’ve got Adam Fiala and Tom Randall back to finish off what they started in this 2-part storytelling podcast. If you’re looking for the first section of the journey where Adam shares his story about the dream to climb his first 5.14 you can find it here http://mujsuplik.blogspot.com/p/dancing-with-wolves-blog-series.html .
The interview is structured in the same manner as part 1, where Tom narrates the blog on behalf of Adam as English isn’t his first language. He then follows up with questions relevant to each stage of Adam’s development and goal to climb his project.
As a recap of part 1, they covered:
- Adam’s climbing and training history
- Common misconceptions about working with a coach
- Details of Performance profiling
- Lattice’s different approach to training
- Nutrition behind Adam’s training, and his fears of weight gain
In part 2, they cover:
- The specific details of his training program
- The unexpected social implications of the program
- Some of his doubts about the program
- His first time on real rock after 16 weeks of training
- The importance of assembling hard “side projects” for confidence
- First time on the “main project”
- The hard truth about training
- His thoughts on gaining weight and how it influenced his performance on the rock
The Lattice jingle is brought to you by Devin Dabney, music producer of the outdoor industry who also hosts the American Climbing Project.