Sport Physiology and Menstruation with Stacy Simms
In this podcast Lattice coach Maddy Cope talks to Dr Stacy Simms, a sport physiologist from New Zealand that has focused on female physiology in her research as well as published books. She is perhaps best known for coining the phrase “women are not small men”.
In this episode we talk about the menstrual cycle, how Stacy views the current research, and how she arrives at practical application of this information in a training context.
Some of the topics covered in this episode are:
- Changing the conversation around the menstrual cycle
- An overview of the menstrual cycle
- The different areas of research when it comes to the menstrual cycle
- The idea behind phase based training
- The hormonal changes that occur in the lead up to the menopause
- Training during perimenopause and post menopause
- Changes in body composition and nutritional considerations
The Lattice jingle is brought to you by Devin Dabney, music producer of the outdoor industry who also hosts the American Climbing Project.